BIBASINAJANA!











Guampedia.com

Overview

The village of Sinajana is located in the central part of the island of Guam and is part of what is known as Kattan or the Eastern District. Sinajana overlooks the central parks of Guam and sits quietly atop the village of Hagatna. The village name is derived from the Chamorro word, Chinahan, which defined as the method of baking wild yams in underground ovens. Chinahan-na is translated to "his or her cooking ground."

Village History

Sinajana was in existance before the arrival of Spanish Missionaries in 1668 and was bordered by the areas now known as Cha'ot and Otdot village. This ancient village was the domain of the Hineti, a Chamorro who was loyal to the Spanish and the Marianas Mission, and was baptized Don Ignacio de Hineti. On July 23, 1684, at the climax of the Chamorro-Spanish Wars, Hineti joined with the Spaniards and recruited about fifty Chamorros, armed with lances, to secure the Spanish stockade and the Spanish flag in Hagatna from Chamorro homeland defenders. For this, he was rewarded the position and title of Sergeant Majoy by the Spanish Governor, Captain General D. Antonio de Saravia.

The last Spanish census, taken in 1897, listed 133 residents in Sinajana. There family names that still exist today, including: Quidachay, Fegurgur, Atoigue, Taisague, Concepcion, Agualo, San Nicolas, Dela Rosa, Taimanglo, Gogo, Quichocho, Agui, Naputi, Lujan, Tedtaotao, Achaigua, Mantanane, Navaro, Castro, Crisostomo, Balajadia, and Fejeran.

Although Pre-World War II Sinajana was an agricultural village, at one time operating as the Coffee Capitol of the island and supplying all of civillian Guam, much has changed with modern urbanization. The destruction of Hagatna during WWII sent thousands in search of homes, and Sinajana absorbed many families when the U.S. Military Government erected temporary housing in the village. By 1950, the population had swelled to 3,000.

St. Jude Thaddeus Junior High School, built in 1955 under the guidance of the Sinajana Pastor Fr. Raymond Demers, had the distiction of being the only school on island built entirely through "happy labor." More than five hundred men from the village volunteered for the construction. The Franciscan Sisters of perpetual Adoration, from Lacross, Wisconsin, administered the school at the request of Bishop Apolliinaris William Baumgarnter, who the school is now named after.

Also in the village at one time was the former George Washington High School campus, which was later moved to Mongmong and finally to its present location in Mangilao. C.L. Taitano Elementary School was previously known as Sinajana Elementary School before being renamed after the former educator and village resident.

After Supertyphoon Karen destroyed eighty percent of the village structures in 1962, the next decade ushered in an onslaught of unimaginable change as "Urban Renewal" forced the relocation of hundreds of villagers to other parts of the island, changing forever the lives of those families who lost their link to the old concept of Sinajana village life.





Sinajana Vice Mayor


POINTS OF INTEREST

    Institutions

    Bishop Baumgartner Memorial School

    This kindergarten to eighth grade school is part of the Catholic School System,. The school, formerly called St. Jude's Catholic School, was renamed in honor of Bishop Apollinaris William Baumgartner, OFM Cap, DD who came to Guam on October 23, 1945. Bishop Baumgartner was instrumental in laying the foundation of the island's Catholic School System.

    C.L. Taitano Elementary School

    This school is one of the twenty-five elementary schools of the Guam Public School System. It was established in 1958 as Sinajana Elementary School and renamed in 1970 to honor the late Carlos Lizama Taitano who was a public servant and civic leader.

    St. Jude Thaddeues Catholic Church

    St. Jude Thaddeus Catholic Church, located in the heart of the village near the Sinajana Mayor's Office and Community Center and the Guam Housing and Urban Renewal Authority (GHURA), was recently rebuilt and rededicated after SuperTyphoon Pongsona partially destroyed it on December 8, 2002.


    Historical

    Ada's Funeral Home

    Ada's Funeral Home was the first funeral home to operate on island, and continues to be operated by the Ada family today.

    Butler's Store/

    Butler's Emporium is situated on Route 4, next to Leonard's White House. it is the longest continuing business on Guam. Next to the building is the concrete foundation is the only remnant remaining of the Coca-Cola bottling Factory owned by the Butlers. in the 1920's, founder Chester Butler was the first person to receive a license to manufacture and sell the soda outside the Continental U.S.

    Hotnu

    The old Won Pat Store is located across from the fire station. In the yard, an old Spanish stone oven, or Hotnu, can be found.



Phone: 671-898-8142
E-Mail:guammayor@gmail.com